-Safety precautions that apply to the general practice of yoga
1. Advise your Yoga teacher of any conditions or ailments you have.
2. Those with eye problems, blood pressure or heart concerns – keep the head above the heart.
3. Talk to your doctor to ensure practicing yoga will not worsen any conditions you currently have.
4. Don’t practice yoga under the influence of alcohol or mind altering drugs.
5. If you are pregnant, notify the instructor before attending class, for special guidelines.
6.During yoga, keep your awareness on what you are doing. Don’t compare or compete with others in the class. Listen to your own body and practice safely at your own edge.
7. Proceed slowly and carefully. Follow the instructions exactly.
8. Never force or strain to get into a specific position. Relax briefly between each practice.
9. Learn to distinguish between pain and sensation. The asana’s should help focus your attention soley on your edge, you should be challenged not strained. If you are in pain, you should stop.
10. Try to leave a gap between your last meal and yoga.
Tips for class
– There is no need to book for class.
– The 9.15am classes have creche available but booking with the Centre directly is usually essential,
– All classes will cater for beginners, although not specifically for beginners. All levels are catered for by providing options in each pose and instructions to either stay at the entry level of the pose or choose to go deeper if you can maintain alignment.
– Bring your own mat or borrow one.
– Wear comfortable clothes to stretch and bend in, and a smile…
– Bring a water bottle.
– You can purchase an eye pillow or mat if you wish. Straps and blocks are supplied.
– Please turn off your mobile during class.
– It is recommended to try at least 4 classes consecutively to allow yourself to get used to the rhythm and flow style.
– Focus on yourself, your own edge, your own enjoyment. Don’t compare yourself toanyone else.
– Don’t worry if you think “I’m not that flexible”, yoga is perfect for you, you don’t need to arrive perect! The classes are about all different body shapes, sizes and flexibilities. We are all beautiful! – – You are the most important person in the room.
– Have fun!